Thursday 25 July 2013

Soulstone Train - A New Hope(fully decent format)

So, the latest episode of Soulstone Train (soulstonetrain.podbean.com) has been recorded and it was the first to use our new, multi-system format.  I have to admit that I was going into that recording with equal parts excitement and trepidation, doing something different is always a bit nervy.  I feel like, over the last 8 months, SST has evolved from two drunk idiots with a record button to a legit, occasionally semi-professional sounding gaming podcast.  I have genuine concerns that the new format may negate a lot of the good progress that we have made since starting.

I’m pleased to say that my worries came to nothing as we did not devolve into drunken idiots, in fact between the four of us, only two alcoholic beverages were drunk during the whole recording (although one of those was half a pint of cheap brandy!).  It was quite an odd experience because we were talking about different things but it still felt like an SST recording.  As we have made a habit of involving as many of our gaming club’s members as possible, even the addition of a new (hopefully at least semi-regular) host didn’t slow us down.

Due to the number of different systems that we’ve covered in this first new format episode, we actually had a running order, etc written down which is something new for us.  Normally we would just wing it and sort everything out in the edit but now I can see why people do preparation.  That recording also showed me that the time has come to invest in some decent recording equipment so this morning I parted with a fair sized wedge of cash and order a basic setup.  Hopefully this will mean amazing sound quality for our future episodes but we’ll have to wait and see.  Tentative plans at the moment are that we’ll record every other week, wonder how long it’ll be before that goes tits up?!

2 comments:

  1. What sort of gear did you go for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a 4 channel USB mixer and 4 dynamic mics with desk stands. My computer will still do the recording side of things but with significantly better input.

      Delete