Thursday 18 July 2013

Quitting Malifaux, the whys and what nexts

For those that don’t know me, my name is And and I’m a host on the gaming/hobby podcast Soulstone Train (soulstonetrain.podbean.com and on iTunes).  Since resigning as a Malifaux henchman I have been asked by numerous people why I’m “quitting” and what I’m going to do next so I thought I’d finally provide some answers.

Here’s a list of the bits that I don’t like about the new edition;

Soulstone system – for me the new system really diminishes the impact that soulstones have on the game and I see that as a negative thing.  Resource management was a big thing for me in m1e and making the difficult decisions of if/when to use a stone really added to the depth of the game.  I feel the new system has been introduced to make things more balanced but has removed a lot of the character that made me want to play the game.

Jokers – in m1e the jokers were the biggest thing that provided the emotional rollercoaster during games.  Everyone has a story about a joker coming out of the deck and it has been a defining part of the hobby.  For me that was a great thing and that added to the suspense of waiting for a card to be flipped.  Now that the impact of a joker has been severely limited, I found myself just not caring as much if one got flipped.  Again, it is another aspect of the resource management side of the game that has been dumbed down.

Pre-measuring – I know I’m in the vast minority on this one but I loved the fact that there was no pre-measuring in m1e.  There are certain stories that all Malifaux players will have, seeing a joker, getting screwed on the extra turn flip and being 1mm out of range (or in) at a game defining moment.  The unknown aspect of the range and the anticipation of trying to work it out added hugely to the emotional rollercoaster of the game.  Yes it makes the game harder to get into but I always just allowed pre-measuring in demos to ease the transition and never had it come up as a barrier to learning.

Character cards – in m1e I used Lady J for 2-3 years solid and even near the end I was finding things that I’d either not tried or hadn’t used in a long time.  In m2e, for me there’s just not enough on the cards to give depth to the characters and add variety to the game.  They also seem to be ignoring the fluff in some cases too (e.g. moving wade in from Santiago to Francisco, fluff wise that makes no sense at all).  During the playtesting I also found a lot of the time that, where someone wanted to know what an ability was, I could describe almost everything as “it’s the same as X spell/ability that your X model has”.  Although there were some variations on a theme in m1e (e.g. shatter an immolating demise), these seem much more widespread in m2e.  Also because of the limit on upgrades, in bigger games it often felt like I was controlling a crew made up of totems (m2e cheap minions have comparible card contents to m1e totems).

Longevity – this was really the final straw that pushed me out of the door.  In early playtesting things were quite interesting as I was using a lot of different crews.  As soon as I settled on one crew for a reasonable number of games (I think it was as early as 4-5 games in that I 1st noticed it), the lack of variety and synergy between models was very apparent to me.  At that point games started to become very repetitive for me.  Due to the dumbed down rules, simplified characters and general lack of engagement that the game provided, after 3-4 months of playing I was just bored of it.  I have heard a lot of people starting to get to that point only 1 month into the open playtest and think that will increase a lot before the general release.  I honestly don’t believe that there is enough in the game to keep people interested for long and, as soon as new shiny syndrome starts to wear off, there may be a mass exodus of people leaving the game.

Fun – the bottom line is in 4-5 months of playing m2e (discounting the first couple because of novelty value), I’ve just not enjoyed playing.  It’s not been emotionally engaging in the same way as m1e and, because my opponent has been in the same boat, it’s very much felt like going through the motions rather than being something to enjoy.  Even taking it away from m1e and treating it as  completely separate game didn’t make a difference, the character that distinguished it from other games just seems to be gone.

Overall I think they’ve put too much stock in the few loud people involved in the meltdown last summer and have concentrated so much on making it balanced for tournament play that they’ve just sucked the fun right out of it.  A good sign of this was in (I think) the first interview that the Malifools did with Mack and Justin where Mack said he already knew most of the changes that he wanted to make to the game before Wyrd even hired him.  For me, if you’re changing a customer focused product you should first look at demographics and poll your customer base.  I really do feel that they have made the game that Mack wanted to make rather than the game that the players want to play.  I think that they may also be spreading themselves a bit too thin with the amount of games that they are currently developing and Malifaux seems to be suffering because of it.

To me as a businessman, Wyrd’s current approach seems a little short sighted, concentrating on trying to get new players in without first ensuring the retention of a high proportion of the current players.  This may be a reasonable strategy in the short term but I do feel that m2e may lack the longevity to retain some gamers.

In my opinion the game did need some changes (e.g. stopping the endlessly repeating overpower and the stat cards) but the extent of the changes that have been made seems unnecessary.

I’d like to end this entry by just clarifying that these views are my own, a lot of people won’t agree with them and that’s fine.  Different people look for different things in a game, there is no right and wrong, just personal preference.  Please treat you personal preference like a penis, having one is fine but please don’t try and ram it down somebody’s throat (unless they ask of course).

I genuinely hope that things do work out ok for Wyrd, over the past 4 years they have been a pleasure to deal with and the people that work there seem really nice.  I’ll now be moving on to a bunch of other games such as Bushido, D&D and various different board games.  The first steps of that journey will be covered in the upcoming episode 13 of SST (we’re recording early next week).

8 comments:

  1. Really enjoyable post And, glad to finally see your reasons put down in your own words.

    Maybe I'm reading between the lines, but I get a feeling that these changes have really gotten under your skin and upset you (as much as a hobby can) and to varying degrees I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this mysterious opponent you have been playing who feels the same???? ;)

    -underdog6750

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great first post, it was a good read. I agree with much of your opinions on the changes.

    I find your explanation in the Longevity paragraph resonates with me. I need to get more games in but my initial feelings are certainly pointing toward each crew becoming pigeon-holed and repetitive.

    I do think that from a business perspective, Wyrd has done fine. I expect they will sell a bunch of V2 at Gencon this year and that will reenforce their internal opinion that its a success. I am fairly confident that many of the people who are currently unhappy with V2 will still purchase the rulebook and possibly a crew set simply to see what the final product looks like. I suspect the real business test and impact will not truly hit until Gencon 2014. That will truly show how "sticky" the new edition is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do understand where you're coming from, in particular the resource management element of Soulstones. However, with hindsight, I agree with Wyrd that the old system reinforced a playstyle of tanky masters draining each other of stones as quickly as possible, and skewed things towards a particular type of master. Their reasoning on that point is pretty sound.

    Have to admit, though, that I'm puzzled by "Malifaux cards are now too simple. There's not enough on them. I'm going to go and play Bushido". I've never played it, but Bushido cards look much less complex to my eye. I've also heard you mention Freebooters Fate too, and in that game there's hardly any differentiation between models *at all*!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richie – the changes haven’t upset me, I understand why a lot of them have been made and in some cases that I will be in the minority with my view. Think it might just have a slight tone because I wrote it during a bad day at work.

    Shane – my opponent isn’t worth mentioning, his opinion doesn’t count ;)

    Bill – I agree, I think the sales figures for this year’s GenCon will be positive due to people being open-minded and willing to give it a go (I’ll be buying a copy myself at some point, doesn’t mean it won’t get read and end up on eBay). The next year, both in sales and tournament attendance will be the real indicator.

    Mike – having received some Bushido models and looked at the cards I see where you’re coming from. I haven’t played a game yet and may well feel the same about that as I do about m2e. I’ll try any game though and hope for the best, I may end up not finding a game I like enough and just end up a hobbyist rather than gamer/hobbyist. I’ll try pretty much everything on the market before that point though. I wasn’t a big gamer before Malifaux so it’s not a huge stretch for me to give up that side of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey And, thanks for the article, it was an interesting read!

    I can't say I agree with your thoughts on M2E (Jokers in particular still screw me over!) but hey - that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. ;)

    One thing I do want to mention though - you made a few comments about the decisions made by Wyrd for M2E. In particular, I think it's a bit hasty to conclude that Wyrd has focused on catering to new players at the expense of what the veterans wanted.

    Some existing players are unhappy with the changes, yes, but there is also a significant proportion of players who are very happy with the new rules (and a substantial majority too, IF the poll on the Wyrd forums is to be believed).

    There's no doubt that they've tried to make the game more accessible to new players, sure, but at the expense of the existing players? I understand why you'd feel that's the case, after all - from your perspective the game got worse. But especially considering that your opinion isn't shared by quite alot of other existing players, I don't think you can use those feelings to make assumptions about the player base as a whole, let alone what decisions were made about M2E within Wyrd.

    Anyway, good luck with expanding into other games. There's a ton of them out there and I've heard some great things about Bushido in particular. :)

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian - thanks for your comments. As with anyone else at this point, I am guessing at the future of the game and am in no way saying that my opinion is the correct one. In a way I hope that I am wrong. It is going to be difficult to gauge the full impact of 2nd edition in the near future but I do feel that the poll on the Wyrd forum will not give an accurate picture of things. Most of the quitters I know stopped logging on there long before the poll went live so it may be like asking people's favourite brand of car at a ford motor show (again, I am guessing). It's worth noting that of all of the players I know in the uk, the current stay to quit ratio is about 50:50. That may not represent the community as a whole but it does have a large impact on my local community.

      Delete
    2. I think initial Malifaux will see a big influx of new players but the key is like you said longevity. 1.5 had its flaws but the rules and models were like a puzzlebox that kept giving you more solutions the more you dug into it. I worry that M2E doesn't have that, thus the only way to keep things interesting is to keep buying new and different models. Which is good for business but not the greatest way to keep a game alive.

      Delete