Friday 20 September 2013

What's in a name?

Often when I’m trawling through Twitter, I find myself considering the meaning of people’s user names.  Some of the user names are pretty straight forward (e.g. Old Man Myke) but some are a little more cryptic.  For example, is Doctor Loxley really a doctor, is Sassy Lady really sassy and/or a lady and is Nepalese Ninja really a ninja?  Also, what in the blue hell does SSSK stand for?!

There are many theories about where my own user name comes from which range from being excessively hairy to a love of flinging poo.  Although those are totally legit, sadly the true source is a bit less interesting.  My secret shame is that I used to date a southerner (please don’t kick me out of Yorkshire!) who used to regularly call me a northern monkey and it just kind of stuck.

If you have an unusual twitter username, I’d love to hear what inspired it.

5 comments:

  1. Mine was inspired by the opening sample of "Wu-tang clan ain't nuthin' to fuck wit" by Wu-tang Clan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little known fact: Dave Chandler's username came from his love of knitting: http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/92-how-to/1134-slip-slip-slip-knit-sssk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using Gorbad (Ironclaw) for about 15 years now. It started with me playing Utopia (old browser based game) and picked orc as my race and since I needed a ruler name I picked my favourite Orc warlord who just happened to be Gorbad Ironclaw from the 4th edition OnG book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been playing WoW since TBC launch, my main is an Undead Rogue called Dr Loxley Von Kulstein, who I role play as a mad scientist and his rogue abilities are done through inventions such as cloaking devices and mini-personal teleporters etc.

    He's moved on and has become very much the embodiment of my more 'eccentric' side, so when I started out in Malifaux it seemed the right handle to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my biggest regrets in life is picking a boring forum/twitter name

    ReplyDelete